Old Parish Church the first recorded church on the site was built c 1180. The Parliament held at Rutherglen by the Guardians of Scotland on May 10th 1300 may have met in this church. After the Reformation only the nave remained and was in use as the parish church until 1794. From 1794 until 1900 a new church served the parish. This was replaced by the present church designed by the architect J J Burnet, which opened in 1902.
Sir John James Burnet FRSE FRIBA RSA RA (1857–1938) was a Scottish Edwardian architect who was noted for a number of prominent buildings in Glasgow, Scotland and London, England. He was the son of the architect John Burnet, and later went into partnership with his father, joining an architectural firm which would become an influential force in British Modern architecture in the 20th Century.