Church Street Milnthorpe.
Church Street led to St Peter's Church in Heversham, Milnthorpe's main place of worship before St Thomas' Church was built in 1837. The road was constructed by John Macadam as part of the Kendal to Lancaster Turnpike in 1819 and the terraced houses were built in 1820's by the Kendal Union Building Society to provide '40 shillings freehold' properties which gave male householders the right to vote. They were called Blue Row after the local colour for the Whig Party which sponsored the Society. The bank building was the King's Arms Inn from 1820-1881.
John Loudon McAdam (21 September 1756 – 26 November 1836) was a Scottish engineer and road-builder. He invented a new process, "macadamisation", for building roads with a smooth hard surface that would be more durable and less muddy than soil-based tracks.Modern road construction still reflects McAdam's influence. Of subsequent improvements, the most significant was the introduction of tar (originally coal tar) to bind the road surface's stones together – "tarmac" (for Tar Macadam) – followed later by the use of hot-laid tarred aggregate or tar-sprayed chippings to create better road metalling. More recently, oil-based asphalt laid on reinforced concrete has become a major road surface, but its use of granite or limestone chippings still recalls McAdam's innovation.