John Sutton Nettlefold JP (1866–1930) was the fourth son of Edward John Nettlefold (the son of John Sutton Nettlefold, 1792–1866) and was born in London in May 1866. In 1878 he came to Birmingham and after leaving school entered the Broad Street offices of Messrs. Nettlefold and Co. (later GKN). Subsequently he resigned his post and became managing director of Kynoch Ltd., a position he retained for many years. He was also, for a considerable period, chairman of Thomas Smith’s Stampings Ltd., and a director of Henry Hope and Sons Ltd. In 1898 he entered the City Council as a representative of Edgbaston and Harborne Ward, and remained a Councillor until 1911. In addition to his work for social reform Nettlefold was interested in charitable and philanthropic movements. For several years he was honorary secretary, and afterwards chairman of the Women’s Hospital, and a liberal subscriber to its funds. He was also at one time honorary treasurer of the Graham Street Charity School, and took a keen interest in the work of the Fazeley Street Mission. Nettlefold was a Justice of the Peace for Worcestershire, and also a magistrate for the city of Birmingham.Whilst living in Birmingham Nettlefold commissioned a home for his family from the architect Joseph Lancaster Ball. The resulting Arts and Crafts style house was called Winterbourne and is currently open to the public. Nettlefold's most notable contribution was to the improvement of public housing in Birmingham for the working classes. In 1901, as the chairman of Birmingham's new Housing Committee he extended the city's slum clearance works. His publications on urban planning included 'Slum Reform and Town Planning', and 'Practical Housing'.