Lewis Carroll black plaque in Warrington

The Looking Glass These licensed premises take their name from the ever popular book Through the Looking Glass written by Lewis Carroll, who was born at nearby Daresbury. The premises stand on the site of the Odeon cinema designed in the art deco style by John Gomersall. The cinema opened on 11th January 1937, finally closing on 28th August 1994. These premises were refurbished by J.D. Wetherspoon in February 2010.

Charles Lutwidge Dodgson (/ˈtʃɑrlz ˈlʌtwɪdʒ ˈdɒdʒsən/; 27 January 1832 – 14 January 1898), better known by his pen name, Lewis Carroll (/ˈkærəl/), was an English writer, mathematician, logician, Anglican deacon and photographer. His most famous writings are Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and its sequel Through the Looking-Glass, as well as the poems "The Hunting of the Snark" and "Jabberwocky", all examples of the genre of literary nonsense. He is noted for his facility at word play, logic, and fantasy, and there are societies in many parts of the world (including the United Kingdom, Japan, the United States, and New Zealand) dedicated to the enjoyment and promotion of his works and the investigation of his life.

Source: dbpedia

Local area map loading...
All plaques in Warrington

Tell us what you know about Lewis Carroll black plaque in Warrington

BluePlaquePlaces.co.uk is a Good Stuff website.