Liverpool Overhead Railway, Charles Douglas Fox, and James Henry Greathead red plaque in Liverpool

Liverpool Overhead Railway 1893-1956 Engineers Sir Douglas Fox & J.M. Greathead

James Henry Greathead (6 August 1844 – 21 October 1896) was a civil engineer renowned for his work on the London Underground railway.

Source: dbpedia

The Liverpool Overhead Railway opened in 1893 with lightweight electric multiple units in the Liverpool Docks, Lancashire, England. It was the world's first electric elevated railway and the first to use automatic signalling and electric colour light signals. It was referred to locally as the Docker's Umbrella. In the early 1900s electric trains ran on the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway to Southport and Aintree; special trains to Aintree ran twice a year after these regular services were withdrawn. A local railway, it was not nationalised in 1948. In 1955 a report into the structure of the many viaducts showed major repairs were needed that the company could not afford. The railway closed at the end of 1956 and the structures were dismantled in the following year.

Source: dbpedia

Sir (Charles) Douglas Fox (14 May 1840 – 13 November 1921) was an English civil engineer.

Source: dbpedia

Local area map loading...
All plaques in Liverpool

Tell us what you know about Liverpool Overhead Railway, Charles Douglas Fox, and James Henry Greathead red plaque in Liverpool

BluePlaquePlaces.co.uk is a Good Stuff website.