Margaret of Anjou and William Skelhorn stone plaque in Mucklestone

Sorry, we don't have a photo of this plaque yet.

On this site stood the smithy of William Skelhorn at which Queen Margaret had her horse's shoes reversed to aid her escape from the Battle of Blore Heath 23rd September 1450

Margaret of Anjou (French: Marguerite d'Anjou) (23 March 1430 – 25 August 1482) was the wife of King Henry VI of England. As such, she was Queen consort of England from 1445 to 1461 and again from 1470 to 1471. She also claimed to be Queen consort of France from 1445 to 1453. Born in the Duchy of Lorraine, into the House of Valois-Anjou, Margaret was the second eldest daughter of René I of Naples and Isabella, Duchess of Lorraine.She was one of the principal figures in the series of dynastic civil wars known as the Wars of the Roses and at times personally led the Lancastrian faction. Due to her husband's frequent bouts of insanity, Margaret ruled the kingdom in his place. It was she who called for a Great Council in May 1455 that excluded the Yorkist faction headed by Richard, Duke of York, and thus provided the spark that ignited a civil conflict that lasted for over thirty years, decimated the old nobility of England, and caused the deaths of thousands of men, including her only son Edward of Westminster, Prince of Wales, at the Battle of Tewkesbury in 1471.Margaret was taken prisoner by the victorious Yorkists after the Lancastrian defeat at Tewkesbury. In 1475, she was ransomed by her cousin, King Louis XI of France. She went to live in France as a poor relation of the French king, and she died there at the age of 52.

Source: dbpedia

William Skelhorn was a blacksmith who reportedly lived in Mucklestone, Staffordshire, England in the 15th Century. Legend has it that he assisted in the escape of Queen Margaret of Anjou from the Battle of Blore Heath in 1459 by reversing the shoes of her horse. The anvil from the Mucklestone smithy stands in the church yard and has the inscription:"This anvil came from the smithy when it was demolished and is believed to have been used by William Skelhorn in 1459."

Source: dbpedia

Local area map loading...
All plaques in Loggerheads

Tell us what you know about Margaret of Anjou and William Skelhorn stone plaque in Mucklestone

BluePlaquePlaces.co.uk is a Good Stuff website.