In this yard, Thomas Sandes (1606 - 81), cloth merchant and former Mayor of Kendal, founded a school and eight almshouses for poor widows.
The gatehouse, once the master's house, had single storey wings and housed the school and a library in the chamber above the gateway.
The houses were rebuilt in 1852 by Kendal architect Miles Thompson. In 1886 the school merged with Kendal Grammar School which was succeeded in 1980 by Kirkbie Kendal School whose trustees still own the property.
The datestone shows shearman's tools and the Sandes family arms.