Shearman House. Opened in 1864, this building was erected by local philanthropists as a public wash-house and baths. Designed by Miles Thompson, the wash-house had facilities for 22 washerwomen and included clothes-horses on rail tracks and two pioneer spin-dryers. it was intended to alleviate the discomforts of washday for working families living in damp and ill-ventilated cottages. There were eight large porcelain baths, the lowest charge for a warm bath being for two young women together at threepence each. The chimney is 70 feet (21.3m) high.