Museum of the Jewellery Quarter bronze plaque in Birmingham
Museum of the Jewellery Quarter
This working museum, which opened in February 1992, is a branch of Birmingham Museums and Art Gallery. It incorporates the former Smith & Pepper jewellery works.
The company was founded by Charles Smith and his uncle Edwin Pepper in 1899, and specialised in gold bracelets and other jewellery until it closed down in 1981.
When the company closed, all the tools, machinery and papers were left behind. Now the building and its contents together with the former premises of butterfly wing jewellery specialists T.L. Mott Ltd., has been turned into a museum to tell the story of jewellery and the Birmingham Jewellery Quarter.
The Museum of the Jewellery Quarter is a museum at 75-79 Vyse Street in Hockley, Birmingham, England. It is one of the nine museums run by the Birmingham Museums Trust, the largest independent museums trust in the United Kingdom.In 2008, the Museum of the Jewellery Quarter was named as the third best free tourist attraction in Europe by TripAdvisor, behind the Pantheon in Rome and the National Gallery in London.