Nell Gwynne green plaque in Hereford

Sorry, we don't have a photo of this plaque yet.

Site of the birthplace of Nell Gwynne. Founder of Chelsea Hospital and mother of the first Duke of St Albans. Born 1650. Died 1687. The house was demolished in 1858.

Eleanor "Nell" Gwyn (2 February 1650 – 14 November 1687; also spelled Gwynn, Gwynne) was a long-time mistress of King Charles II of England and Scotland. Called "pretty, witty Nell" by Samuel Pepys, she has been regarded as a living embodiment of the spirit of Restoration England and has come to be considered a folk heroine, with a story echoing the rags-to-royalty tale of Cinderella. She was the most famous Restoration actress and possessed a prodigious comic talent. Gwyn had two sons by King Charles:Charles Beauclerk (1670–1726),James Beauclerk (1671–1680)The surname of her sons is pronounced 'Bo-Clare'. Charles was created Earl of Burford and later Duke of St. Albans.

Source: dbpedia

Local area map loading...
All plaques in Hereford

Tell us what you know about Nell Gwynne green plaque in Hereford

BluePlaquePlaces.co.uk is a Good Stuff website.