Old Turn Junction, James Brindley, and Thomas Telford black plaque in Birmingham

7
Old Turn Junction
(1769)

This junction was formed when James Brindley's contour canal of 1769 was joined by Thomas Telford's New Main Line in 1827.

Thomas Telford FRS, FRSE (1757–1834) was a Scottish civil engineer, architect and stonemason, and a noted road, bridge and canal builder. After establishing himself as an engineer of road and canal projects in Shropshire, he designed numerous infrastructure projects in his native Scotland, as well as harbours and tunnels. Such was his reputation as a prolific designer of highways and related bridges, he was dubbed The Colossus of Roads, and, reflecting his command of all types of civil engineering in the early 19th century, he was elected as the first President of the Institution of Civil Engineers, a post he retained for 14 years until his death.

Source: dbpedia

Old Turn Junction, or Deep Cutting Junction (grid reference SP059868) is a canal junction in Birmingham, England, where the Birmingham and Fazeley Canal meets the Birmingham Canal Navigations Main Line Canal. The junction features a circular island.

Source: dbpedia

James Brindley (1716 – 27 September 1772) was an English engineer. He was born in Tunstead, Derbyshire, and lived much of his life in Leek, Staffordshire, becoming one of the most notable engineers of the 18th century.

Source: dbpedia

Local area map loading...
All plaques in Birmingham

Tell us what you know about Old Turn Junction, James Brindley, and Thomas Telford black plaque in Birmingham

BluePlaquePlaces.co.uk is a Good Stuff website.