plaque № 8692 in Guildford

Tunsgate Arch There have probably been markets held in Guildford since Saxon times. Markets are one of the features which distinguish a town from a village, and were an essential part of rural life. Farmers from the countryside around would bring their produce into Guildford for sale, and then buy other goods. There were three markets each week: for corn, for cattle and a general market for food and household goods. The street beyond is called Tunsgate. In old Guildford "gate" meant passage or alleyway, and this one used to run through the now vanished Tuns Inn. There was never a market square and for much of Guildford's history the markets were held in the High Street. Sacks of grain need cover from the rain, however, and the cornmarket was held in the front part of the Guildhall. As more space became needed, a wooden canopy was built in front of the Tun Inn opposite. In 1818 the inn was demolished and the present archway built, with columns in the style of a Tuscan temple. The cornmarket occupied the space under the arch, with a court room for the annual assizes at the rear. Look for Guildford's coat of arms in the pediment facing the High Street. Notice behind it the sword of justice (referring to the law court) and a horn of plenty (for the cornmarket). Growing corn was the most profitable kind of farming in the Guildford area. Wheat for flour, barley for brewing beer and oats for animal food would be displayed for sale under this arch. The corn porters, who carried the sacks, would take a pint of grain from each one as a market toll. the scoops they used can still be seen in the Guildhall. The money from selling the toll went to the Corporation. In 1901 sales of corn moved to Woodbridge Road (where it ended in about 1970). This building was used by the Corporation until 1937, when the two middle columns was moved apart to build a road through to the street behind. In 1992 this road was filled in and the steps replaced. The coat of arms of Guildford and of its twin town Freiburg were set in to the pavement under the arch.
Tunsgate Arch There have probably been markets held in Guildford since Saxon times. Markets are one of the features which distinguish a town from a village, and were an essential part of rural life. Farmers from the countryside around would bring their produce into Guildford for sale, and then buy other goods. There were three markets each week: for corn, for cattle and a general market for food and household goods. The street beyond is called Tunsgate. In old Guildford "gate" meant passage or alleyway, and this one used to run through the now vanished Tuns Inn. There was never a market square and for much of Guildford's history the markets were held in the High Street. Sacks of grain need cover from the rain, however, and the cornmarket was held in the front part of the Guildhall. As more space became needed, a wooden canopy was built in front of the Tun Inn opposite. In 1818 the inn was demolished and the present archway built, with columns in the style of a Tuscan temple. The cornmarket occupied the space under the arch, with a court room for the annual assizes at the rear. Look for Guildford's coat of arms in the pediment facing the High Street. Notice behind it the sword of justice (referring to the law court) and a horn of plenty (for the cornmarket). Growing corn was the most profitable kind of farming in the Guildford area. Wheat for flour, barley for brewing beer and oats for animal food would be displayed for sale under this arch. The corn porters, who carried the sacks, would take a pint of grain from each one as a market toll. the scoops they used can still be seen in the Guildhall. The money from selling the toll went to the Corporation. In 1901 sales of corn moved to Woodbridge Road (where it ended in about 1970). This building was used by the Corporation until 1937, when the two middle columns was moved apart to build a road through to the street behind. In 1992 this road was filled in and the steps replaced. The coat of arms of Guildford and of its twin town Freiburg were set in to the pavement under the arch.
Local area map loading...
All plaques in Guildford

Tell us what you know about plaque № 8692 in Guildford

BluePlaquePlaces.co.uk is a Good Stuff website.