plaque № 8704 in Guildford

Guildford The town of Guildford lies in the gap where the river Wey cuts through the chalk ridge of the North Downs. The main routes in West Surrey converged to cross the river, over the ford on the site of the old town bridge. It was to this spot that the first Saxon migrants came in about the year AD500, to settle at Gyldeforda - "the golden ford". The coat of arms of Guildford include the wavy lines that represent the ford. In the mid 600s, these pagan Saxons became Christians and St. Mary's Church nearby in Quarry Street has a late Saxon tower. In the Middle ages Guildford thrived as a centre for the wool trade. Lying halfway between London and the South Coast, it was well placed for trade. Although small throughout the Middle Ages, Guildford was a prosperous town having the status of a borough from the 10th century and was recognised by Henry III as the county town of Surrey. As a centre of the local road network, Guildford had a large number of inns and public houses. Opposite, White Lion Walk marks the site of the great White Lion coaching inn, demolished in 1957. Nearby, The Star was the base for most of the 'carriers' in Georgian and Victorian times. These men would transport goods to and from the outlying villages. Both The Star and the building facing it have the distinctive 'jetty', where the upper storey projects beyond the ground floor. Both date from the late Elizabethan period. The granite setts (not cobbles) have been a feature of Guildford High Street since 1869.
Guildford The town of Guildford lies in the gap where the river Wey cuts through the chalk ridge of the North Downs. The main routes in West Surrey converged to cross the river, over the ford on the site of the old town bridge. It was to this spot that the first Saxon migrants came in about the year AD500, to settle at Gyldeforda - "the golden ford". The coat of arms of Guildford include the wavy lines that represent the ford. In the mid 600s, these pagan Saxons became Christians and St. Mary's Church nearby in Quarry Street has a late Saxon tower. In the Middle ages Guildford thrived as a centre for the wool trade. Lying halfway between London and the South Coast, it was well placed for trade. Although small throughout the Middle Ages, Guildford was a prosperous town having the status of a borough from the 10th century and was recognised by Henry III as the county town of Surrey. As a centre of the local road network, Guildford had a large number of inns and public houses. Opposite, White Lion Walk marks the site of the great White Lion coaching inn, demolished in 1957. Nearby, The Star was the base for most of the 'carriers' in Georgian and Victorian times. These men would transport goods to and from the outlying villages. Both The Star and the building facing it have the distinctive 'jetty', where the upper storey projects beyond the ground floor. Both date from the late Elizabethan period. The granite setts (not cobbles) have been a feature of Guildford High Street since 1869.
Local area map loading...
All plaques in Guildford

Tell us what you know about plaque № 8704 in Guildford

BluePlaquePlaces.co.uk is a Good Stuff website.