Priory House and Gustavus Brander blue plaque in Christchurch
Priory House, built c. 1776 on the site of the monastic ruins by a former Governor of the Bank of England, Fellow of the Royal Society and Trustee of the British Museum, Gustavus Brander 1720-1787 who was also Lord of the Manor of Christchurch Twyneham. His will provided for the first organ for the Priory Church
Gustavus Brander (1720-1787), English naturalist, who came of a Swedish family, was born in London in 1720, and was brought up as a merchant, in which capacity he achieved success and became a director of the Bank of England.His leisure time was occupied in scientific pursuits, and at his country residence at Christchurch in Hampshire he became interested in the fossils so abundant in the clays of Hordwell and Barton. A set of these was presented by him to the British Museum, and they were described by Daniel Solander in the beautifully illustrated work entitled Fossilia Hantoniensia collecta, et in Musaeo Britannico deposita a Gustavo Brander (London, 1766). Brander was elected Fellow of the Royal Society (F.R.S.) in 1754, and he was also a trustee of the British Museum. He died on 21 January 1787.