These almshouses were built in 1898
by Richard Cadbury for the benefit
of the workers of Cadbury's.
During the Second World War the railings
were removed to support the war effort.
Over the ensuing years, damage to the
stonework resulting from the removal
has been extensive. As a reminder this
section has been left unrestored.
The project to replace these
railings and stonework
was undertaken by the
Trustees of Bournville Almshouse Trust
Richard Barrow Cadbury (29 August 1835 – 22 March 1899) was the second son of the Quaker John Cadbury, founder of Cadbury's cocoa and chocolate company.Together with his younger brother George he took over the family business in 1861 and in 1878 they acquired 14 acres (57,000 m²) of land in open country, four miles (6 km) south of Birmingham where they opened a new factory in 1879. Over the following years, more land was acquired and a model village was built for his workers which became known as Bournville.