On this site formerly stood The Golden Cross Inn
the prorietor of which Mr. Richard Ketley
founded in or before 1775 the first known building society in the world.
This plaque was presented to the City of Birmingham by the International Union of Building Societies and Savings and Loan Associations.
President Mr. Morton Bodfish
and unveiled by the right worshipful the
Lord Mayor of Birmingham
John Joseph Grogan M.B.B.. J.P.
28th March 1958