Rock Cottage The first house at Clifton, built 1794 in plain Georgain style, in Regency times a lodging house. Damaged in a storm in 1836 its sea wall amongst first constructed. Burnt 1908 it was rebuilt as thatches cottage orne by eminent local architect R.W.Sampson (1866-1950) retaining only verandah from old house. Associated with Wills family of tobacco fame. Gifted 1989 under will of Dr. Russell Vernon for benefit of the National Trust.