Rutherglen Castle and Edward Bruce blue plaque in Rutherglen

Rutherglen Castle stood near here. It was built c. 1264, possibly replacing an earlier structure. Captured during the War of Independence by pro-English forces, it was repossessed by 1313 by Edward Bruce. After the Battle of Langside, May 13th 1568 it was burnt down. One tower was rebuilt and became the seat of the Hamiltons of Elistoun, Lairds of Shawfield. The last remains of the castle had been quarried away by 1770.

Rutherglen Castle was located where Castle Street meets King Street in Rutherglen. It was a large and important castle, having been built in the 13th century; the walls were reportedly 5 feet thick. The castle fell under the control of the English during the First War of Scottish Independence and was later besieged several times by Robert The Bruce. It was eventually retaken by his brother Edward Bruce but was spared destruction, unlike so many of the other castles recaptured from the English. However, the castle was burned to the ground by James Stewart, 1st Earl of Moray, in 1569, in retribution against the Hamiltons of Shawfield for having supported Mary, Queen of Scots, at the Battle of Langside.

Source: dbpedia

Edward Bruce (Norman French: Edward de Brus; Medieval Gaelic: Edubard a Briuis; Modern Scottish Gaelic: Eideard or Iomhair Bruis; c. 1280 – 14 October 1318), sometimes modernised Edward of Bruce, was a younger brother of Robert the Bruce, King of Scotland, who supported his brother in the struggle for the Scottish crown, then pursued his own claim in Ireland. He was proclaimed High King of Ireland, but was eventually defeated and killed in battle by Sir John de Bermingham. He also held the Scottish title of Earl of Carrick.

Source: dbpedia

Local area map loading...
All plaques in Rutherglen

Tell us what you know about Rutherglen Castle and Edward Bruce blue plaque in Rutherglen

BluePlaquePlaces.co.uk is a Good Stuff website.