Serle's House, William Sheldon, James Serle, and Museum of the Royal Hampshire Regiment white plaque in Winchester
Serle's House was built about 1730 for William Sheldon. It fronted Bowling Green Lane, originally the Saxon Gar Street, and had a large garden backing onto Southgate Street where this plaque is located. The house has been in military use almost contiuously since it's purchase by James Serle in 1781. It now houses the museum of the Royal Hampshire Regiment.