The Five-Rise Locks. Designed by John Longbotham of Halifax and built in 1774 by local stonemasons Barnabus Morvil, Jonathan Farrar, William Wild all of Bingley and John Sugden from Wilsden. The locks raise boats 59 ft. 2 ins. over a distance of 320 ft. Distance by canal to Leeds 16 miles 2 furlongs to Liverpool 111 miles. National Heritage award winner 1975.