Soho Foundry and W & T Avery blue plaque in Smethwick

Sorry, we don't have a photo of this plaque yet.

Boulton & Watt's Soho Foundry
Established in 1796 for the production of their renowned steam engines. The site was bought by W & T Avery in 1895

Soho Foundry is a factory created in 1795 by Matthew Boulton and James Watt and their sons Matthew Robinson Boulton and James Watt Jr. at Smethwick, West Midlands, England (grid reference SP037885), for the manufacture of steam engines. Now owned by Avery Weigh-Tronix, it is used for the manufacture of weighing machines.The early history of the Soho Foundry is of pivotal importance both to the history of the industrial revolution and to the study of the development of management theory. The Soho Foundry stood out from other factories of the day in the sophistication of its planning, its production processes and its management techniques; practicing concepts that wouldn't become commonplace until a century later. Comparing its workings to the techniques of mass production and scientific management made famous by Henry Ford and Frederick Winslow Taylor in the United States in the early 20th century, the economist Eric Roll wrote "Neither Taylor, Ford nor any other modern experts devised anything in the way of plan that cannot be discovered at Soho before 1805".

Source: dbpedia

Local area map loading...
All plaques in Smethwick

Tell us what you know about Soho Foundry and W & T Avery blue plaque in Smethwick

BluePlaquePlaces.co.uk is a Good Stuff website.