St Austin's, UMIST, and St Augustine's grey plaque in Manchester

On this site between 1820 and 1908 stood St Augustine's RC Church and its parish schools. Known as "St Austin's", it was the third oldest Catholic Church in Manchester. By the 1840s it served over 10,000 predominantly Irish parishioners. Between 5,000 and 15,000 people were buried in the Church grounds. In 1908 the Church moved to York Street, and in 1940 to All Saints.

The following is an incomplete compendium of the fictional locations featured in the stories of P. G. Wodehouse, in alphabetical order by place name.

Source: dbpedia

The University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology (UMIST) was a university based in the centre of the city of Manchester in England. It specialised in technical and scientific subjects and was a major centre for research. On 1 October 2004, it was subsumed by the Victoria University of Manchester (commonly called the University of Manchester) to form a new entity also called The University of Manchester.UMIST gained its Royal Charter in 1956 and became a fully autonomous university in 1993. Previously its degrees were awarded by the Victoria University of Manchester. The UMIST motto was Scientia et Labore (By Knowledge and Work).

Source: dbpedia

Local area map loading...
All plaques in Manchester

Tell us what you know about St Austin's, UMIST, and St Augustine's grey plaque in Manchester

BluePlaquePlaces.co.uk is a Good Stuff website.