St Thomas's Church victim of World War II.
The present ruin of St Thomas's Church is the result of severe bombing during World War II. The raid, in December 1940 lasted from nightfall to dawn, the hands of the clock showed that the church received a direct strike at 7.25pm.
All that remained was the church tower. Many of the Church treasures were salvaged from the debris by Ernest Mason, a dedicated member of the congregation. In 1941 the site was purchased by the corporation and the following year designated a public open space. In 1953 the area was turned into a garden to celebrate the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II.
St Thomas' Peace Garden is a small public park in Birmingham, England designated as a monument to peace and a memorial to all those killed in armed conflict. It was designed around the tower and west porticos of St. Thomas's Church, Bath Row, which was half demolished in the Birmingham Blitz in 1940 and never restored. The grounds were laid out in 1955 to commemorate the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II. They were redesigned in 1995 to commemorate the fiftieth anniversary of the end of WWII. When the world leaders came to Birmingham for the G8 summit in 1998, each planted a tree. Each premier chose a tree that most represented their respective countries and they are now a living symbol of peace. Although the Peace Garden is within St Thomas' grounds this is a site that is for everyone including the ever growing numbers of non-religious people of Birmingham, the West Midlands and the World.