Beyer, Peacock and Company was an English railway Locomotive manufacturer with a factory in Gorton, Manchester. Founded by Charles Beyer and Richard Peacock, it traded from 1854 until 1966. It received limited liability in 1902, becoming Beyer, Peacock and Company Limited.Important designs were the Garratt articulated locomotives widely used in Africa, notably on South and East African Railways, and Australia and the 4-4-0 tank locomotives used on the Metropolitan and District lines of London Underground from 1864 until electrification in 1905. They also built 2-4-0 tank locomotives for 3 ft 6 in (1,067 mm) lines in Norway and the famous Manx Peacock design for the 3 ft (914 mm) gauge Isle of Man RailwayThe first Garratt locomotive constructed was TGR K class for the Tasmanian Government Railways on the western Tasmanian North East Dundas Tramway; K1 is now preserved on the Welsh Highland Railway together with the last Garratt Beyer Peacock built SAR NGG 16 Class No.143. Four New South Wales Government Railways AD60 Class Beyer-Garratt Patent locomotives are preserved being the most powerful steam locomotives in the southern hemisphere when introduced.Gorton Foundry was on the opposite (south) side of the railway line to the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway works at Gorton. Between 1855 and 1966, the company built nearly 8,000 railway locomotives. Several of their 1874-built steam locomotives for the Isle of Man Railway remain in daily use. A Gorton-built South African Railways GL class Beyer-Garratt locomotive is on display in the Museum of Science and Industry in Manchester.In addition to building steam locomotives, Beyer, Peacock & Co. also built the 10 British Rail Class 82, 25KV AC electric locomotives to a Metropolitan-Vickers design, the 101 BR Class 35 diesel hydraulic locomotives, and, the last of all built, BR Class 25/3 diesel-electrics. They also collaborated with Metropolitan Vickers in building the Western Australia Government Railways X class, diesel electric locomotives, and the New South Wales 46 class, 1500 V DC electric locomotives at Bowesfield Works, Stockton-on-Tees.