Bothwellhaugh

Sorry, we don't have a photo of Bothwellhaugh.

Map loading...

Bothwellhaugh was a Scottish coal mining village occupied from the mid-1880s until the 1960s, when it was abandoned. The village was based next to the towns of Motherwell and Hamilton in Lanarkshire, about ten miles south-east of Glasgow, now within Strathclyde Country Park.There were two coal mines on the site, the Hamilton Palace Colliery, operated by the Bent Colliery Company. Housing was developed from the late 1880s until 1905.The remains of the Bothwellhaugh Roman Fort and a Roman bath house are based in the park, around a days march from the Antonine Wall, to this day.James Hamilton of Bothwellhaugh, became notorious for being the assassin of James Stewart, 1st Earl of Moray, Regent of Scotland, at Linlithgow in 1570.

Source: dbpedia

BluePlaquePlaces.co.uk is a Good Stuff website.