Kersal Moor is a recreation area in Kersal, within the City of Salford, in Greater Manchester, England, consisting of eight hectares of moorland, bounded by Moor Lane, Heathlands Road, St. Paul's Churchyard and Singleton Brook.Managed by Salford City Council's Ranger Team, the moor has for some years been designated a Site of Biological Importance, which is the designation given to the most important non-statutory sites for nature conservation in Greater Manchester. In 2007 it was designated as a Local Nature Reserve by English Nature. The ranger team takes advice from a local user group, the "Friends of Kersal Moor", who help with the management of the moor and organise events and activities such as litter collections, tree thinning, bench building, teddy bears' picnics and celebration days.For such a small area of land, Kersal Moor, originally called Karsey or Carsall Moor, has a rich history due, in part, to it originally covering a much larger area. The map of 1848 shows the moor extending across the land now occupied by Salford City F.C.'s ground and down to the River Irwell. Evidence of activity during the Neolithic period has been discovered, and the area was used by the Romans. It was the site of the first Manchester Racecourse and only the second golf course to be built outside Scotland. It has been extensively used for other sporting pursuits, military manoeuvres and public gatherings such as the Great Chartist Meeting of 1838, prompting the political theorist Friedrich Engels to dub it "the Mons Sacer of Manchester".With the increasing industrialisation and urbanisation of Manchester and Salford during the 18th and 19th centuries, the moor became one of the remaining areas of natural landscape of interest to amateur naturalists, one of whom collected the only known specimens of the moth species Euclemensia woodiella, which is now extinct.The moor has been referenced in a number of books and poems and is today preserved as a recreation area, a site of historical importance, and one of the last areas of open moorland in Salford.