The Land of Green Ginger (grid reference TA099287) is a narrow street at the bottom of Whitefriargate in the old town area of Kingston upon Hull, England. There are a variety of commercial and residential buildings along the street's length. The Land of Green Ginger is also where what may be the world's smallest window can be seen. It was used by the gatekeeper of the George Hotel to look out for stagecoaches and customers.The street was formerly known as Old Beverley-street. Various suggestions have been proposed for the derivation of its current name. It may simply refer to the sale or storage of the spice ginger in the medieval period. An 1853 record indicates that a Mr. Richardson "has made it most probable that the designation 'Land of Green Ginger' took place betwixt 1640 and 1735". The unknown writer then goes on to speculate that as a Dutch family with the surname Lindegreen (meaning "green lime trees") was known to live in Hull during the earlier part of the nineteenth century that the modern name might be a corruption of Lindegroen jonger (Lindegreen junior). Another idea, dating from 1880, is that it is a corruption of "Landgrave Granger", meaning a walk or pathway approaching the home of the family Landgrave.