The Daily Courant blue plaque in London

In a house near this site was published in 1702 The Daily Courant first London daily newspaper

The Daily Courant, first published on 11 March 1702, was the first British daily newspaper. It was produced by Elizabeth Mallet at her premises next to the Kings Arms tavern at Fleet Bridge in London. The paper consisted of a single page, with advertisements on the reverse side. Mallet advertised that she intended to publish only foreign news and would not add any comments of her own, supposing her readers to have "sense enough to make reflections for themselves."Mallet soon sold The Daily Courant to Samuel Buckley, who moved it to premises in the area of Little Britain in London, at "the sign of the Dolphin". Buckley later became the printer of The Spectator. The paper lasted until 1735, when it was merged with the Daily Gazetteer.

Source: dbpedia

Local area map loading...
All plaques in City of London Corporation

Tell us what you know about The Daily Courant blue plaque in London

BluePlaquePlaces.co.uk is a Good Stuff website.