The Royal Oak blue plaque in Eccles

The Royal Oak. The beer house initially stood on the opposite side of the road but was demolished in 1903 during slum clearance and reoped in 1904. City of Salford Eccles History Trail

The Royal Oak is the English oak tree within which King Charles II of England hid to escape the Roundheads following the Battle of Worcester in 1651. The tree was in Boscobel Wood, which was part of the park of Boscobel House. Charles confirmed to Samuel Pepys in 1680 that while he was hiding in the tree, a Parliamentarian soldier passed directly below it. The story was popular after the Restoration, and is remembered every year in the English traditions of Royal Oak Day. Numerous large dishes painted in slip with the Boscobel Oak, supported by the Lion and Unicorn, with the king's face peeping from the branches were made by the Staffordshire potter Thomas Toft.

Source: dbpedia

Local area map loading...
All plaques in Eccles

Tell us what you know about The Royal Oak blue plaque in Eccles

BluePlaquePlaces.co.uk is a Good Stuff website.