Micklegate Bar. The entrance from London and the South. Here were exposed the heads of Lord Scope of Masham 1415, Richard Duke of York (after Battle of Wakefield, 1460) "so York may overlook the town of York", (Shak.3.Hy.VI.1.4.). The Earl of Devon after battle of Towton 1451. The Earl of Northumberland 1572, and many others. The last being the Jacobites Wm. Connolly and James Mayne 1746. Date of erection 1196-1230, on older foundations. Exterior renewed and beautified 1716. Barbican removed 1826. The Bar was completely restored 1952.