The Palace of the Archbishops of York The Palace was built in the 14th and 15th centuries as the residence of the Archbishops of York. It was refurbished by Cardinal Wolsey, Archbishop of York 1514-30, Lord Chancellor to King Henry VIII. During the English Civil War the palace was occupied by the Scottish Commissioners only to be stripped of its lead by Parliamentarian soldiers and later robbed for building materials. The medieval State Chamber, now known as the Great Hall, and the Chapel survived, the former being used as a Courtroom and school. In 1907 both were incorporated into the Bishop's Manor, the now residence of the Bishops of Southwell. The Great Hall and Chapel are currently used by Minster and Town.
Thomas Wolsey (c. March 1473 – 29 November 1530; sometimes spelled Woolsey) was an English political figure and cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church. When Henry VIII became King of England in 1509, Wolsey became the King's almoner. Wolsey's affairs prospered, and by 1514 he was the controlling figure in virtually all matters of state and extremely powerful within the Church. The highest political position he attained was Lord Chancellor, the King's chief adviser. In that position, he enjoyed great freedom, and was often depicted as an alter rex (other king).Within the Church, he became Archbishop of York, the second most important seat in England, and then was made a cardinal in 1515, giving him precedence, even over the Archbishop of Canterbury. His main legacy is from his interest in architecture, in particular his old home of Hampton Court Palace, which stands today.