This is the site of the Carmelite Friary excavated by the City of Aberdeen Archaeological Unit in 1981 and 1994.
The Carmelites, a world-wide religious order of friars originated as hermits on Mount Carmel in Palestine. This friary was founded in 1273 and was occupied until the Reformation in 1560. It was one of the most important religious centres in Aberdeen.
Marked out on the ground is part of the church. Also found was part of the west range which included a kitchen. The excavated buildings date to the 14th and 15th centuries and there was evidence of earlier timber structures.
Finds included large quantities of painted and stained glass window glass, window leading, pottery, a lead water pipe, coins and a gaming die, which all added to the picture of life in this area of Aberdeen. Analysis of human skeletons provided valuable evidence about the medieval population of Aberdeen.
Plaque Colour: White
Local area map loading...
Location: Car Park of Flats off Rennie's Wynd, the Green
Unitary Authority: Aberdeen City Council
Unitary Authority Ward (UTW): George St/Harbour
Scottish Parliament Constituency: Aberdeen Central