William Bindloss, Eli Cox, and Agnes Bindloss black plaque in Milnthorpe
Main Street Milnthorpe.
Main Street connected the port of Milnthorpe on the Kent estuary, a mile to the west,with the ancient main road which ran through Crooklands three miles to the east. Until 1924 the street's buildings extended as far as the traffic island, Flowerden House, now on the corner, was designed by Eli Cox and built, in 1880, for Mrs Agnes Bindloss whose husband William was five times Mayor of Kendal. A date stone in the backyard inscribed 'E+Kitchen 1807' refers to Mrs Bindloss' grandfather who erected an earlier property on the site. Following the death of the last private resident Mrs Ethel McLeod in 1955, Flowerden became the venue for the Bela and Heversham Freemasons' Lodges.