William Brown Street and William Brown grey plaque in Liverpool
William Brown Street
William Brown Street has arguably one of the most impressive collection of civic buildings in the world.
Developed principally by Liverpool Corporation, they pivot around the drumlike Picton Reading Room,
nicknamed 'Picton's Gasometer'.
The Museum and Library, the Walker Art Gallery and former County Sessions House contain
internationally important collections created by Liverpool's merchants and magnates.
The Museum was extended westwards in the early twentieth century thus completing the group.
William Brown Street was named after the local MP whose generous donation made the
Museum building possible.
William Brown Street in Liverpool, England, is a road that is remarkable for its concentration of public buildings. It is sometimes referred to as the "Cultural Quarter"Originally known as Shaw's Brow, a coaching road east from the city, it is named after William Brown, a local MP and philanthropist, who in 1860 donated land in the area for the building of a library and museum. This area gives its name as the William Brown Street conservation area.The conservation area contains:Lime Street StationSt George's HallWilliam Brown Library and Museum — housing part of World Museum Liverpool and part of Liverpool Central LibraryGreat North Western HotelWalker Art GalleryPicton Reading Room and Hornby Library — part of Liverpool Central LibraryCounty Sessions HouseCollege of Technology and Museum Extension — part of World Museum LiverpoolThe Wellington MemorialThe Steble FountainSt John's GardensLiverpool Empire TheatreEntrance to Queensway Tunnel