William Hey blue plaque in Leeds

William Hey's House
This impressive Georgian townhouse was built for William Hey (1736-1819) one of the founders and later Chief Surgeon of Leeds General Infirmary. For 50 years Hey was in the front rank of British surgeons.
Architect: Thomas Johnson
Erected 1794-5

William Hey (23 August 1736 – 23 March 1819) was an English surgeon, born in Pudsey, West Yorkshire. He was a surgeon at Leeds General Infirmary from its opening in a temporary building in 1776, and senior surgeon from 1773 to 1812.He gave his name to Hey's amputation (a tarso-metatarsal amputation), Hey's internal derangement (dislocation of the semilunar cartilages of the knee joint), Hey's ligament (the semilunar lateral margin (falciform margin) of the fossa ovalis), and Hey's saw, used in skull surgery.Hey served as mayor of Leeds in 1787–88 and 1802–03. In 1783 he was President of the Leeds Philosophical and Literary Society. He also founded the Leeds Club. In March, 1775 he was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society.Hey's son William Hey (1772–1844) was also a surgeon.

Source: dbpedia

Local area map loading...
All plaques in Leeds

Tell us what you know about William Hey blue plaque in Leeds

BluePlaquePlaces.co.uk is a Good Stuff website.