Willielma Campbell blue plaque in Exmouth

Glenorchy Church. The original Glenorchy Chapel was founded by Willielma, Viscountess Glenorchy, in 1777 following her visit to the town the previous year with her personal chaplain. Sensing the spiritual needs of Exmothians she organised a meeting in the 'Long Room' of the Globe Inn. A dwelling house was purchased initially, coverted for worship and was the first nonconformist chapel in Exmouth. The present church was built in 1866 superseding the earlier chapel on this site.

"Viscountess Glenorchy" redirects here. For others, see Viscount Glenorchy.Willielma Campbell, Lady Glenorchy (1741-1786) was a patroness of evangelical missionary work in Scotland and beyond.Willielma Maxwell was born, in Galloway, as the daughter of the wealthy William Maxwell of Preston and Elizabeth Hairstanes. On 26 September 1761, she married John Campbell, Viscount Glenorchy, eldest son of John Campbell, 3rd Earl of Breadalbane and Holland, one of Scotland's greatest landowners. In 1765, while recovering from illness, she came under the influence of the sister of Rowland Hill (the evangelical Anglican preacher), and experienced a religious conversion. Particularly after her husband's death in 1771, she devoted herself and her wealth to furthering evangelical causes, becoming an influential figure in Scottish Church affairs. She held evangelistic services in her Edinburgh home open to both rich and poor, and also established several chapels in both Scotland and England. She influenced many to enter the ministry.

Source: dbpedia

Local area map loading...
All plaques in Exmouth

Tell us what you know about Willielma Campbell blue plaque in Exmouth

BluePlaquePlaces.co.uk is a Good Stuff website.